Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Welding splatter

wrote:
I watched someone use a MIG welder with a flux-core wire. There was a
lot of spatter.

1) Is this usual?

Yes, if the heat settings are off you get a lot more splatter though.

How can it be minimized?

proper adjustment and/or spray on spatter shield

2) Is there significantly less spatter when using the same welder with
shielding gas?

Maybe, depends on what you're welding, how you have things set up and
what gas you are running.

3) If so, what is the place of flux-core wire welding?

Locations where you cannot run a shield gas very well. Such as outside
one a breezy day or when you need to weld with a very long piece of wire
running out (like inside a hole or between two panels)

Is it just
something to get weekend users to buy MIG welders?

Nope, I have seen it used in a lot of shops as well. It is great for
welding heavier metals with fewer passes.

4) Do you get the same amount of spatter with stick welding?

Depends on the electrode and what you're welding. In general you get
much more with stick.

Thanks,

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC