Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Search warrants for code violations?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I don't think we are against code enforcement, but warrant issued for
suspicion can easily be abused. I think the codes are good, but I don't
want some inspector getting suspicious and obtaining a warrant because my
lawn seems too long so he suspects faulty wiring.

This is power than can be easily abused.

A Nazi treehugger in North Las Vegas found a law on the books that outlawed
weeds over 6" high. She then proceeded to make a formal written complaint
against ANYONE who had weeds taller than allowed. Before that, no one paid
any attention. But since they WERE written formal complaints, all had to be
acted upon. The list of offenders included policemen, firemen, city
officials, lots of people. I think the law was rescinded shortly after
that.

Steve