Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Why a newsreader?

Higgs Boson wrote in news:a634710a-29ff-4619-a1b7-
:

Straight question.

What is the purpose of paying for a newsreader? Is it to access news
groups? For that purpose, is Google really so awful? Esp, for
people who visit only a few NGs?

(Note: I had one of the BEST email clients for years -- Forte Agent.
Swift, powerful, sophisticated.
But when they discontinued NG access, I went to a Web-based email
client. I guess I could still use Agent just for email, but now I'm
sot in me ways.

Or do people pay for a newsreader to follow the news, period. If the
latter, why not just go to news sources on-line?

Have been puzzling about this for some time.

Enlightenment, anyone?

HB
HB

I used to like the old Netscape browser's newsreader interface. But then
they upgraded it to uselessness before dumping the whole shebang. The I
switched to Xnews. Free, and it does it for me. For discussion of
newsreaders you oif course use the newsgroup
alt.comp.software.newsreaders

For news server I use astraweb. I paid $10 for 25 GB of downloading in
June 2008. I have used less than 1 GB. It has binaries out the kazoo,
with great retention. Check out
http://www.astraweb.com