Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default Why a newsreader?

Higgs Boson, 7/3/2011,4:18:28 PM, wrote:

Straight question.

What is the purpose of paying for a newsreader? Is it to access news
groups? For that purpose, is Google really so awful? Esp, for
people who visit only a few NGs?

(Note: I had one of the BEST email clients for years -- Forte Agent.
Swift, powerful, sophisticated.
But when they discontinued NG access, I went to a Web-based email
client. I guess I could still use Agent just for email, but now I'm
sot in me ways.

Or do people pay for a newsreader to follow the news, period. If the
latter, why not just go to news sources on-line?

Have been puzzling about this for some time.

Enlightenment, anyone?

HB
HB

Why pay for any of it? There are scores of good free newsreaders and
several free text-based news servers. Using a newsreader for USENET is
a far better experience than using the clunky Google Groups interface.
Besides, Google Groups hasn't been too reliable lately anyway. If I
was forced to use the G2 interface it would be time to give up USENET
for me.