Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default OT Has anyone in the group ever had to verify your signature on a credit card receipt?

In article ,
Thomas Edward wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:31:33 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Usafretcol wrote:

It's not for your protection that the merchant violates the agreement
they signed. It is for their protection as fraudulent use of a card
does not cost the legitimate holder a dime.

Agree that they do it for their own protection, but in the process
they're covering my ass too. And why would I care that someone I do
business with wants to protect himself from fraud? Someone upthread was
sniveling about that for no good reason that I can see.

One of the reasons that the credit card issuers forbid the asking of
additional ID by the user is that most requests are for a driver's
license. Many DL's carry SS#'s, DOB, and address. These are prime
items for identity theft and fraud.
Since 1969 (my 1st CC) I have never been asked for ID and I have made
charges from about $10 to one for $22,000.
If you are asked for additional ID you are being asked to participate
in breaching a civil agreement between the merchant and the CC issuer.
You could be giving your CC issuer a means to challenge a fraud claim.

There's the letter of the law and then there's what works. Many places
don't ask for my license. OTOH, there is a restaurant I frequent often
that does. This is one of those places that you order at the counter,
pay there, and then they bring your food to the table. The only thing
anyone who's ever asked for my license anywhere has ever done, is make
sure the name is the same. Happened just yesterday at the auto parts
store. I have no issue with that.