Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On 7/2/2011 6:14 AM, Steve B wrote:
I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of about
500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the name of the
current most common), and then run my hose branches from that ? (The main
line would have to lay on the ground, through the woods). Whatever I use,
I need to be able to drain the line during winters, but I suppose I could
get fittings for this equipped with a drain screw or valve or something.

Investigate underground piping, and associated valves. There is one that
opens a valve in the ground below freezing level, and when the water is
turned off, drains the water in the stand pipe to keep it from freezing. No
need to totally drain the lines if you put them in deep enough. Not sure of
their name, but I have seen lots of them in freezing country. They are red,
and have a crooked handle top.

Steve

They are called Frost Free Yard Hydrant. You have to remember to
surround the bottom of them with coarse rock to give the water someplace
to drain.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-YH-5L.../dp/B002RO73HU

--
Steve Barker