Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default old dresser knobs - no screws

In article
,
Matt wrote:

I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

The picture sucks. If that's a metal piece whose inside is hollow and
threaded as you say, then it could be an insert. Inside would have a
machine thread for a knob-mounting screw, and outside would have wood
screw type threads to secure it in the drawer front. See he

http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=d0595q

You don't say anything about whether the handles and knobs are wood or
metal. Maybe they have screws that you haven't found yet. Or maybe
someone pulled the original hardware and glued on some replacement
stuff, bypassing those inserts (if that's what they are) altogether.