Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On Jul 2, 10:50*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 00:09:53 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Jul 1, 12:58 pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 07:22:22 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:12 am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:22:08 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
80 cents a foot? That's more pricey than garden hose?

A 500 foot garden hose isn't going to pass much water.

Why not? Hose length has no bearing on water volume, only diameter
matters.

Because friction in the pipe will reduce pressure by a bunch.

A "bunch"... is that universally recognized scientific nomenclature?
Internal turbulence does not occur to any appreciable degree in
typical hard pipe, especially not with smooth plastic irrigation
tubing. Fire hose is coarsely woven cloth so is rough and does cause
turbulence but still reduction in volume is negligible considering the
very high pressure pumps used for fire fighting... were it presenting
a water volume problem you could bet your bippee that fire fighters
would use something else. I can't imagine anyone using fire hose to
water their garden. However gals like fire fighters watering their
gardens because of their big rough hoses with all their volume and
high pressure... and especially how they fold up so neatly for storage
in their drawers. LOL-LOL

I hook up 50 ft of 5/8" garden hose to the sill cock at my house and
measure the water that flows out over 1 minute. *I do the same thing
with 500 ft of the same hose. *According to what you're claiming when
I measure it over 1 minute, the same amount of water will flow. *You
have much experience here on planet Earth?

You've never done that, you don't have anymore 5/8" hose than your one
50' length or you could actually try it... I have many 100' lengths of
5/8" hose and have actually done what you suggest... whatever volume
goes in one end comes out the other end... or do you mean when your
mommy pinches your widdle peepee while changing your nappy.- Hide quoted text -

Of course whatever volume goes in one end comes out the other.
That has nothing to do with what you claimed, which is that the
volume of water flowing through a pipe depends ONLY ON THE
DIAMETER. The volume of water flowing through a pipe depends
on the diameter, length, and pressure. The narrower the pipe the
more resistance to flow if has. The longer the pipe the more
resistance to flow it has. That's how the laws of
physics apply here on planet Earth. So if you connect 50 ft
of garden hose to your home which has a water pressure of
50lbs you're going to get MORE water coming out the other
end than if you connect 250 ft of hose. And if you connect a
long enough length of hose you will get zero flow because
50 lbs isn't enough pressure to overcome the total resistance.
Capiche?

And for someone so obviously ignorant, I would not be
taking cheap shots at others here.