Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP LaserJet 5L is streaking, how to 'clean' up?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 01:26:14 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

I've cleaned lots of 5 HP printer laser prisms and mirrors in industrial
applications. They are very prone to contamination from smoke.

Cigarette smog is a big problem with laser optics. When I get a laser
printer that is covered with brown tobacco crud, I have to also tear
apart the laser scanner and clean the optics. It's even worse on a
copier or scanner where I have to clean the mirrors. My worst case is
an auto repair shop, where exhaust fumes and oil gets into everything.

Another day in laser printer hell. This has nothing to do with the OP
problem or the HP 5L, but might be amusing. I was working on an HP
LaserJet 4300dtn that had shredded the fuser driver gear (a common
problem and easy fix). Everything was working fine, until I decided
that the top cover needed cleaning (from my toner loaded
fingerprints). I spray on some 409 household cleaner, and get
interrupted by a phone call. About 2 minutes later, I finish the
call, spray on some more and wipe. I then run a test print and the
output looks like disaster. Very little black, lots of lengthwise
streaks, and a very panicky customer. What happened is that the
design of the 4300 top cover directs any fluids sitting on top
directly into the overpriced toner cartridge. Pulling the cart
confirmed that I had poured cleaner inside. Fortunately, 409 almost
totally evaporates, so it was just a matter of printing some pages,
shaking the cartridge, and printing some more. After about 30 minutes
and 30 pages, it was back to normal.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D