Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Angle iron

On Jun 30, 6:48*pm, wrote:
I needed some 3/4"x3/4"x1/8" angle iron for a project. Previously I
bought a 3-foot length in Home Depot so I headed back there. They had
an item with that description but it did not look like what I had
bought before.

I believe that "regular" angle iron is made by extrusion. These pieces
looked like someone put a 1.5" flat in a brake and bent it at right
angles (I believe the term for this is "formed"). I was reluctant to
buy this as it just did not *look* as strong as the regular extruded
type. I tried to work out the relative strengths from the Machinery's
Handbook but without success.

So the questions a

1) Am I right in assuming that the extruded angle iron is stronger
compared to the formed type? If so by how much?

2) Is there a good reason why a 72" length of stock should cost 1.5x
as much per inch as a 36" length?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

No real hardware stores around? Virtually every one around here has a
rack of rolled steel shapes in 3-6' lengths. Not as cheap as at a
steel yard by the pound but very convenient on a Sun. afternoon. Ace
is da place.

Stan