Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 22:16:27 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On 7/1/2011 9:52 PM, Harry K wrote:

I ran 1" PVC about a 1/4 mile buried in 1976. Still in service today
with no leaks. Same for all my sprinkler lines. Only leak I have had
was one fitting where I made the misstake of using a female PVC/male
Iron fitting. NEVER do that! Always use a malepvc/female iron. Much
fun as it broke in the middle of winter and I had to shut off the the
entire line until spring so I could dig it up.

PVC is really the only good option here. It's very cheap, 500' of 1"
would probably cost under $200 with all the couplings and glue,
depending on where it is all purchased. It can be painted for sun
protection if the o.p. doesn't want to bury it.

Being so "cheap"inexpensive (as you say) I can't imagine anyone
painting plastic tubing rather than occasionally replacing a
portion... and it's not like it's going to deteriorate from UV within
a short time... if not abused by kinking and driving vehicles over PVC
it will last well over 10 years outdoors (no one paints their PVC drip
systems either).

And no one would use glue for an irrigation system, every
professionally installed system I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of
them and installed several myself, holds it all together with
stainless steel crimp clamps, not screw type hose clamps, they use a
stainless steel ring and crimping tool (fast, inexpensive, and neat -
screw type hose clamps are expensive, difficult to work in dirt, and
present a hazard due to the loose end). Gluing makes it difficult to
make changes/repairs.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/St...amps-s/189.htm