Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On Jul 2, 7:14*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of about
500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the name of the
current most common), and then run my hose branches from that ? (The main
line would have to lay on the ground, through the woods). Whatever I use,
I need to be able to drain the line during winters, but I suppose I could
get fittings for this equipped with a drain screw or valve or something..

Investigate underground piping, and associated valves. *There is one that
opens a valve in the ground below freezing level, and when the water is
turned off, drains the water in the stand pipe to keep it from freezing. *No
need to totally drain the lines if you put them in deep enough. *Not sure of
their name, but I have seen lots of them in freezing country. *They are red,
and have a crooked handle top.

Steve

That would be one hell of a project, running pipe below the frost line
through mostly wooded areas. Around here, even if it's just open
space, poly pipe is just pulled to bury it, almost never buried 3 ft
deep, for obvious reasons. You just blow it out with a compressor
at the end of the season. That's what is done with almost all the
lawn irrigation systems. With some small percentage the pitch
allows for self-draining.