Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Bathroom odors

On Jul 1, 7:52*am, Ned Flanders wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Jun 27, 2:47 pm, "Bob-tx"No Spam no contact *wrote:
In one of our three bathrooms, we have a slight sewer gas odor.
But, even a slight sewer gas odor is unpleasant, so I need to fix
it.

The odor is not coming through the shower or lavatory drains,
but from the commode area. *We have tried airing out the room,
then not using this bathroom for two or three days, but the odor
remains. *The toilet bowl holds the normal level of water, so
I don't think it is coming up through there.

The only thing I can think of is the wax ring must have deteriorated,
although I have not ever heard of this happening. *Our house is
sixteen years old, and we have lived in much older houses, and
never had to replace a wax ring.

I don't think it makes any difference, but we are on a septic system
since we are outside city limits. *The system is working properly, and
has recently been pumped out. *This did not have any effect on the
odor.

I'm too old and stiff to tackle the job of changing the wax ring myself,
but wonder about how long of a job this might be since I'll hire it out.