Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On Jul 1, 6:31*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Thanks for the field report. Maybe it does last a while?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message

I laid a "temporary line" some 200 ft with a 50' side branch
with
mostly 3/4" PVC (white) on top of the ground to water newly
planted
trees in 1977. *Pulled it about 15 years later. *Had a few
leaks each
spring but fittings are very cheap and patching is nothing
but a
hacksaw and tube of glue. *Currently using pieces of that
same pipe
for another 'temporary' line to bypass a busted frost free
hydrant
(can't replace without digging through a mass of tree
roots). *That
lien is also above ground and only needed one patch this
spring
(usually there are several). * Line has been in place over
10 years.

Harry K

It for sure gets brittle but doesn't seem to bother as long as it
isn't moved. Brittleness shows when it breaks due to frost, fractures
propagate down the line for several feet at times. I would probably
go with black poly if I didn't have the stock of PVC. I think poly
stands freezing a bit better.

Harry K