Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

"James" wrote:

My faucets at the cabin are based on the cabin water system, which is a
well, with a pressure tank in the basement. I get good pressure (60 psi),
and the poly pipe will not go uphill.

I am talking about watering a few plants and bushes,
I just dont' want to constantly drag hoses around. That
is all that this is about. I don't need much pressure at
the end, just enough to do some light watering.

For what you describe it would be asinine to install a grid of piping
all over six acres... your idea is way over kill, it's beyond over
kill, it's as stupid as stupid gets... you're not growing crops. And
with shrubs and trees once they're established it's not a good idea to
water them unless there is a protracted dry spell or young plants
won't develop a strong deep root system... when properly planted and
mulched you really shouldn't need to water such plants after the first
growing season, unless as I've said, there's a real dry spell... and
native wildflowers need no watering, most do better if not watered. A
newly planted sapling/shrub doesn't need much watering, five gallons
once a week is all, and that's if it doesn't rain. And you don't want
to water fast and heavy, you want to water slowly, so it can sink in
and not run off. And from experience I can tell you that it never
fails, right after you finish a whole lot of watering because
everything is so dry the sky opens up and there's a deluge. All you
need is a garden tractor, a cart, and a bunch of buckets, a riding
lawn mower will do for occasional water hauling. And with six acres a
tractor and cart is manditory to save your legs, it will probably get
used every day hauling you and a mess of tools and materials to do
some project, but you'll hardly ever water that smattering of plants,
once growing probably never. I were you I'd be much more concerned
about critters eating your plants... and if you water you'll attract
more critters, critters would much rather dine on the juiciest plants.
Most critters are nocturnal, while you're sleeping they'll be
ferreting out those nice moist soft spots you left them, they will dig
down and eat your plant's roots, you won't even know until one day you
notice your plant is dying. Oh well, most everyone learns the hard
way.