Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Can't figure out the bowl gouge

I am in west central Wisconsin. 10 miles se of Baldwin Wi.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

"djcordes" wrote in message
Pete, where are you located?

Dan

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .
I have looked at several videos on using the bowl gouge and listened, as
carefully as I can to the audio.
In addition, I have looked at several websites/forums where this issue is
discussed.
---Still can't get the hang of it, the hollowing in particular.
Most videos are shot by a videographer, I think, who doesn't really know
what's going on, and so, misses the points that a novice like me needs.
One example: the instructor says something like: "hold the gouge like
this". The video shows the instructor's fist clamped around the tool,
while the tool's business end is completely hidden by the hand.

I would quit bowl turning altogether, and switch to basket weaving, but
we have 70 acres of woods and lot of bowl blanks drying.

Is there any way an ordinary human can learn this skill without a live
tutor?

Pete Stanaitis