Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 7/1/2011 4:31 AM, FarmI wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
First thing comes to mind, is sunlight and the UV rays. So,
what you use should be UV resistant.

White PVC tubing might work for a while. The cost of
fittings might add up. Typically sold in 10 foot lengths,
and the tubing is relatively rigid.

White PVC will be weakened by UV. Works great buried.

The new "Pex" stuff they sell for indoor water tubing may
work, but not sure how UV resistant it is.

Most Pex is easily damaged by UV.

They also sell some grey tubing for electrical conduit,
which might be more UV resistant, but not sure it's used for
outdoor water.

It's not rated for that.

Which brings us back to black poly pipe.

Ah! Thank you for mentioning it. Given all the other posts where there
has
been no mention of black polypipe except for a very early post, but some
other things I've never heard of and UV, I was beginning to wonder if
black
polypipe hadn't made it to US.

Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, 2 inch black poly pipe is what
my father used to get water from our spring's pump house to the
water system at our home on the farm. We had to make sure the buried
pipe was in a bed of sand because 200 yards of plastic pipe will move
when pressurized. On more than one occasion a small stone would rub
a hole into the pipe so we had to dig it up, patch the pipe with a plastic
coupling then rebury it with sand around it. I remember the
pipe as having a fairly thick wall and not being very flexible.

That's interesting and different from our experience.

We use 2 inch poly runnin goff the pump on our dam and leading up to the
tank on the hill to gravity feed for the toilets and the garden and it'd be
about 200 yards in distance. It's not buried , must have been there about
20 years by now and we've never had any trouble from it. We dont' ever run
that pump flat out though - just putttering alone at about half speeed
(dont' ask me why because I don't know). The ants use teh poly as an ant
superhighway, but I guess their tracks aren't doing anything much to wear
it. The only trouble we've had with any 2 inch poly was buried and was in
the gravity feed section. It started leaking and had to be dug up and fixed
and then reburied, but I think it might have been a tree root that caused it
to rupture.

I'm a huge fan of polypipe as I can repair most of it myself without ever
having called upon Himself to do it.