Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default OT Has anyone in the group ever had to verify your signature on a credit card receipt?

In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:58:59 -0500, Usafretcol wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:54:42 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Art Todesco wrote:

He said no one ever asks for ID, etc. either.

I recently ate at a restaurant that only took credit cards if you also gave
them a driver's license. But not to compare the signature. They brought
back the license with the card before I signed the check.

Read a copy of the merchant's agreement with the cc company. They are
forbidden to ask for any ID to use the card. The only requirement is
that the card be signed. If not signed, the card is to be considered
invalid. Read the agreement for further info.

Thanks. I just filed a complaint at:
http://www.mastercard.us/support/mer...iolations.html

Now I don't remember whether the license was just looked at or taken away
with the card. This was some months back. I do know I told my luncheon
companion that I would not eat there again because of it.

I dunno what the merchant agreement sez, but when a merchant asks for my
ID before processing a credit card charge, I thank him. He's doing his
part to keep my account secure.