Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Jun 29, 6:30*pm, "James Nipper"
wrote:
I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, *two acres
of which are cleared and developed. *I have areas away from the house area
in which I need water access for watering plants, flowers, etc. *Ideally, I
would love to have about three faucets in areas that are up to about 400
feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of *"T's" * add
several branches *(hoses) to allow me to water in several selected areas.
But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be pretty expensive, and it all
seems so *"temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of about
500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the name of the
current most common), and then run my hose branches from that ? *(The main
line would have to lay on the ground, through the woods). * *Whatever I use,
I need to be able to drain the line during winters, but I suppose I could
get fittings for this equipped with a drain screw or valve or something.

Any ideas of what I should look for, *or use ? *Any general ideas of how to
accomplish what I am trying to do ?

Why not set up a system for gravity flow irrigation, like the farmers
that grow rice have? All you need is a laser level and some sheet
plastic for ditch liners.
Or if you simply prefer to spend money, have a small well drilled at
the site needing the water.

You slip that in so nonchalantly... there is no such thing as drilling
a small well on the cheap.