Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oversize keyboards

In article ,
Clive George wrote:

I've never quite understood the fashion for laptops - unless you actually
need to carry it around. They are very poor value compared to a desktop -
and by nature have smaller screens and keyboards.

I got one a bit over four years ago, and am now converted.

During the day, I use it with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. But I was
surprised to find how usable it was without those, and spend a fair
proportion of my time using it sitting on the sofa now.

I'd find that far more uncomfortable than using my desktop at its station
with a decent chair. Indeed, I've seen plenty getting a stand for a laptop
so it is in a sensible position for comfort.

Performance isn't an issue. If I was doing video work, or gaming, maybe
a desktop would be worth it, but pretty much all of my stuff isn't
CPU/GPU bound these days.

Wireless + laptop is liberating - sit where you want, no need to set up
a desk for it. That'll be the big reason for the popularity.

Lots tend to leave them set up at a table etc. Rather than the hassle of
unplugging the PS and putting the whole thing away.

And BTW I hate more not having a mouse. To the point where I use one with
my laptop apart when I have to use it on the move, as it were.

'Course there's the other risk that the freedom means you're using the
thing more than you should :-)

Hope not. Computers are responsible for all sorts of repetitive use
injuries. A laptop will make this worse.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.