Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom[_33_] Tom[_33_] is offline

Default old fingers and tough "safety" triggers

On 6/30/2011 2:47 PM, Han wrote:
Tom wrote in :

the elderly lady who loves nearby has fingers that are gnarled with
rheumatoid arthritis. Meanwhile, electric hedge clippers these days
are made with triggers that take a lot more force than years ago - and
so does the thumb-operated catch that lets you lock the clipper into
the 'on' position.

Is there any way to make it easier for her?

I know you're trying to help, but go a step further, and "borrow" her hedge
clippers. Cut a little of your hedge, then all of hers ...

(Easily said, since I don't think I live close to you)

But she loves doing it, almost as much as using her weed whacker - which she
uses twice a week or so. She also believes the activity is good for her
health, and is almost certainly right.

All these had nothing:
National Council on Aging
the local office
Lowes
retailers of assistance devices, like wrightstuff.biz & enablingdevices.com

(The senior-related ones don't have the irritating phone menu navigations.)

Black & Decker does have the menus, then played a recording about how they
strive for quality in customer service... then ironically disconnected me -
their system is broken since yesterday.

With the Arthritis Foundation, I ended up in India, then realized they were
the first one. (Maybe the tide has turned in outsourcing.) But also no help.

I'd thought of an inline power switch and rigging the trimmer's mechanical
triggers to be always on, but that wouldn't be safe. It's probably
theoretically possible to use levers on the triggers, but not practical to
fashion anything.

So I guess there's no solution for the poor dear. Thanks for the replies.