Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default No comments from the GUN_Lovers

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

But the military does not take civilians, send them through basic
training, then off to drill instructor school.

You're missing an important point. Yes, a DI is already an
experienced soldier and thus all he needs is some instruction in how
to teach. But many teachers are in the same position, i.e. a teacher
already knows how to read and write so he is in a good position to
impart those skills to his students provided he knows how to teach.

Of course once you get to more specialized knowledge I agree it is
necessary for the teacher to know the material inside-out, you
wouldn't want a shop teacher who didn't know how to use a wrench or a
math teacher who couldn't figure out his own taxes. That's how it is
done beyond grade school, a college history professor has multiple
degrees in history. I think that's how it should be done at least at
the high school level as well, a math or science or literature or
music teacher should have at least one degree in his subject area in
addition to an education degree. If he can demonstrate he's a good
teacher than I have no problem with skipping the education degree and
in some cases even the specialized degree, e.g. if Eric Clapton is
looking for work as a guitar teacher we wouldn't hold a lack of a
college education against him. But in the lower grades I don't see
the same sort of need for much specialized knowledge.

Ah, good point. I was skipping elementary school and thinking of more
specialized courses at the High School level, such as Gay History or
Ebonics.

Thanks for the nudge.

Who is Eric Clapton?