Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default To our UK friends..

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:23:32 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 06/29/2011 02:07 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:29:56 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

http://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth_table.htm has been mentioned
already. What sizes of sockets do you actually need for the Royal
Enfield? Pick out some size frequently used on the bike, eg 5/16 W
for 3/8" bolt, with heads 0.600" (15.24mm) flat-to-flat. An SAE 5/8"
will be too loose by some amount, let's say 0.025" (.635mm). Put a
5/8" socket into an index on a mill, and make 3 cuts with a thin
slitting blade so that the socket size can be squeezed down .025"
with a ring clamp (hose clamp). Check fit on some bolts, if ok tig
tack, take off clamp, recheck fit, if ok weld up the three cuts.
Then turn smooth in lathe, polish, chrome plate, etc.

So this is somehow better..assuming it doesnt crack..then simply buying
a socket?

Now if that socket cracks while squeezing it....Id have to weld that up
too. So pretty soon that socket is looking like hammered **** and it
may or may not crack if I put some Ommph! on the handle.

Sigh..I guess I just dont have the pioneer spirit..the sense of
adventure...the ..well..I guess Im just a staid old fart who wants to
work on the bike..not build new tools before starting on the bike.

But Thanks! I definately keep that in mind! Im curious though..any
idea of what RC a good socket has.or a good box end? Just so I know how
many slitting saw blades to stock up on.

And the way to modify a box end would be to cut out a section..heat it
red hot..hammer it over a Whitworth bolt head until it fits..kinda
sorta..then weld it closed..then machine/file/grind all the sniggly
little bits that dont quite line up? Cool! Ill definately keep that in
mind. And of course..open end wrenches..that would be easy!

Much obliged....blink blink..

When I was younger I wouldn't hesitate to start a job by mining the ore
to make the steel to ... etc.. Now my tendency (unless I just need an
excuse to stay in the shop) is to think "hey -- I'm gonna _die_ before I
get this done, unless I get to the real job".

Indeed. Oh yes indeed.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.