Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT Has anyone in the group ever had to verify your signature on a credit card receipt?

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Art Todesco wrote:

He said no one ever asks for ID,
etc. either.

I recently ate at a restaurant that only took credit cards if you also

gave
them a driver's license. But not to compare the signature. They brought
back the license with the card before I signed the check.

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER let your license or your CC leave your sight. That's
when the cards are skimmed by portable scanners and your license quickly
photographed by cell phone cameras. Police are forever busting up rings of
waitstaff that earn considerable money from criminal gangs. What they
really want is your 3 or 4 digit code on the back of your card. I always
pay with cash at restaurants. The risk is just too high that someone's
going to sell your card data to some criminal gang. Cuts out the infamous
double billing scams, too. I always make sure I have a mix of bills too, so
that the famous "disappearing waiter" trick isn't pulled on me where they
hope you'll just get tired of waiting and leave without your change.

WASHINGTON -- Restaurants in the D.C. metropolitan area are working with
Secret Service agents to shut down a credit card-skimming scheme, and
authorities said each business was hit from the inside.

Managers at the DuClaw Brewing Company and Pizzeria Uno at the Bowie Town
Center in Bowie, Md., Jasper's in Largo, Md., and the Red, Hot and Blue
restaurant in Arlington, Va., had no idea their customers were being
victimized.

Authorities said a network of waiters working at the four restaurants used a
device called a skimmer to swipe customers' credit cards. By using the
device, authorities said the waiters were able to capture the customers'
credit card numbers as well as other private information about the card
owners. Then authorities said that information was used to make illegal
purchases.

NEVER EVER EVER let your credit card or license leave your sight.

http://www.google.com/search?q=resta...imming+schemes

--
Bobby G.