Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_2_] dpb[_2_] is offline

Default Computers on the way out

George wrote:

Actually pretty accurate. Desktop sales continue to decline each year in
favor of more portable devices.

Which are ok for either req'd portability and/or the small viewpoint
few-minute task...

The newer smartphones do a pretty good job of panning and zooming. My
phone has an 8 megapixel camera so I am pretty sure it does photos and
video (it also does stuff like scanning barcodes and has software that
allows me to take a picture of a document and convert it into a PDF and
send it via its full featured email client if I want), I can certainly
do spreadsheets and I have no idea what cam/cam is.

But panning and zooming is _very_ time-consuming for _real_ work of any
great magnitude. And the input devices for manual interaction are, to
coin a phrase, "pathetic" simply owing to the size factor.

The workstation isn't going away; simply the number of alternates for
other purposes is going up. I'd wager a fair amount of any decline in
sales is tied to economic conditions more than the form factor for the
market wherein workstations are important.

There are simply different types of work being done on the different
platforms and I don't see that the large scale work is going to go away
but the more or less trivial application has always outclassed the
"power user" in sheer numbers and will continue to do so.

But as another poster notes, it's a far different thing to say that
other markets grow than that the whole workstation market is going away

And I do use the wireless hotspot for my tablet notebook.

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...