Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:58:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/25/2011 1:46 PM, bob wrote:
I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

Im more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than
fire damage. Perhaps because Ive never had a fire before and this is
the first time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

It's not like in the movies and TV where you see all the sprinkler heads
start spraying water at the same time. It doesn't work like that if that
worries you.

thanks for pointing this out. I used to wonder about that. Wondered
how the other heads knew to start. Now I see that they don't.

P&?M?

Only the sprinkler head tripped by flames releases water.
Many systems are dry, meaning there is no water, only compressed air in
the pipes which keeps the main water valve shut until a sprinkler head
is activated by fire. The wet pipe systems have to be drained to flush
them out on a regular basis to keep crud out of them, the dry systems
don't have that problem and the maintenance folks have to keep an eye on
the air pressure in the system which is usually remotely monitored
through the alarm system. If you are in a multi-floor apartment building
, each floor may have a maintenance closet where there is a valve for
your floor.

TDD