Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Can't figure out the bowl gouge

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:03:56 +0000 (UTC), lid (Drew
Lawson) wrote:

In article
"Pete S" writes:
I have looked at several videos on using the bowl gouge and listened, as
carefully as I can to the audio.
In addition, I have looked at several websites/forums where this issue is
discussed.
---Still can't get the hang of it, the hollowing in particular.

I have no advice to offer.

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one. Spindle gouge is easy.
The dreaded skew chisel is no big deal. Scrapers are my favorite
for bowls.

But try a bowl gouge and I knock the piece out of the chuck.

Need to get back to trying that. . .

Try "sneaking up" on the wood...

place the gouge on the rest with the handle almost straight down and
the flute of the gouge facing the bowl or whatever.. You have 3 angles
to think about but the main 2 are angle of the tool to the work in
relation to the lathe bed and angle of the tool handle towards your
body... Most teachers recommend 45 degrees as a starting point for
both..
The "attack angle" will depend a lot on the grind type and angle, so
these would be atarting angles for an "out of the box' bowl gouge, not
a swept wing..
Sorry that I can't find the words to explain this better, feel free to
ask any questions that you come up with..

SLOWLY bring the handle up, remembering to keep the tip of the giuge
above center of the piece..
As you make LIGHT contact with the wood, gently turn the handle of the
gouge like a screwdriver until the cutting edge is making shavings..