Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Gold

"Ignoramus18941" wrote in message
news

Like you, I owned a number of 100 oz silver bars for a while. Silver
is an important industrial metal. I never felt a need to own gold at
any price, as I always thought of it as not having enough
ascertainable value.

Gold's chief value has shown itself of late. Most likely, readers have
taken note that gold is right at $1,500/ounce.

Those that hold gold have retained their buying power, while those that have
paper (and even real-estate in many cases) have not. The real issue is
the loss of value of the dollar, not the value of gold. It simply reflects
downfall of the dollar and other economic systems. They're all nothing
short of a pyramid scheme.

There's no shortage of those that have opinions on the value of gold--some
of which are valid, some of which are nothing short of insane.

Barring a complete collapse of the world and its economy, those that have
means will always place a value in gold. History has proven that to more
than anyone's satisfaction, if you're paying attention. Gold has been
valued as long as man has known of its existence, several thousand years BC.

Someone made mention of coinage made of gold. Not a good idea, not at all.
The value of coins is in the striking----but the value of gold is according
to the market price. We aren't on a gold standard any longer, and I expect
we will never be on a gold standard again, not ever. Further, a coin the
size of a dime would have a value in the vicinity of $200 in keeping with
the dollar of today. It clearly is not something one could use in trade,
in particular for small purchases.

Gold is a commodity---one that is recognized world wide, and will remain so.
Do not judge gold by the mindset of Americans, who, for the most part, don't
have a clue. They're too busy worrying about a boob job or a new snow
mobile.

Harold