Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

On Jun 25, 10:07*am, "Bill" wrote:
* * A short article he *http://tinyurl.com/5vk4lc4

Electricity does not just go to homes! There are all sorts of
industrial plants / manufacturing plants / chemical plants and so
forth which have numerous control gizmos which depend on an accurate
power line frequency.

Think of all the things unearthed with the Y2K problem. Same with
this. All sorts of stuff out there!

And the 60 Hz power supply has always been a "rock". Something
guaranteed to be exact. So electrical engineers have made use of that
in many different products which have been manufactured in the past.

Now that "rock" is going to turn to mush?

If they are going to do this, then they should give many years notice
prior to doing so. Same as with Y2K. It took a lot of investigation,
time, and work to root out all the potential problems...

The 60 Hz has never been the "rock" you think it is. While its long
term accuracy is pretty good its short term accuracy isnt that great
and very rarely exactly 60hz. As a matter of fact my freq counter says
it is 60.07xxx Hz, the xxx means that these digits are constantly
chnging. Georgia Power used to give a tour of their Plant Hatch
facility and one of the topics mentioned was frequency accuracy. I
would like a couple of examples of any products that use the power
line frequency as a CRITICAL reference as I know of none.

Jimmie