Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Capping an artesian well

"Bob F" writes:

wrote:
zxcvbob writes:

tofu wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-256123-.htm
tofu wrote:

The Fisherman wrote:

Hello all,

I have an artesian well that has been disconnected from my house
and is now only a 1 5/8" inch PVC pipe sticking out of the ground
in
my
front yard.

It flows at about 5 gallons per/minute.

I currently have a plastic cap on it with a hose clamp to stop it
from running.

I\'d like to put a hose bib on it so that I can use the water in
various uses when I want to.

How in the world can I work with this? How can I glue anything to
this pipe while it\'s running?

Is there some method that would allow me to cap this thing properly
where I could then add on to this system? Getting a valve into the
line is my problem.

How can I put a valve into this line?

Use a rubber coupling.

Also I think there's blue PVC cement for wet use. You could glue on
a thread adapter. Don't screw on the cap or a valve until the glue
sets.

Dry ice held to outside of pipe will stop it in seconds.
Only a small piece needed.

I've done it to a main under city water pressure to repair the
main shutoff.

On PVC pipe?? It's not very thermally conductive.

Don't know. I did it on galvanized wrapped in lead.
This was a 2 inch main gushing water at a pretty good rate.

Just checked, you're right PVC isn't very conductive at all.

My guess is that it would still work. You could stuff
the dry ice directly into the water flow I suppose.
I doesn't sound like this well is generating a lot of
pressure. Just take a chunk and push it into the water
flow.

My story is that I got a quote for 2.5K to repair the
leaking valve. All of the cost was digging up the street.
I already had a replacement valve.

My neighbor told me about this. 5 bucks worth of dry ice
vs. a $2500 repair bill.

--
Dan Espen