Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

Does it really take that much effort to synchronize the grid's
frequency?

To change the frequency they have to brake or accelerate the generator. What
I can't understand is which station is in charge of monitoring the frequency
and issuing commands to other power stations to speed up or slow down?

Frequency variation is not a big deal. When you have a power outage, the
voltage and hence frequency go to zero in a haphazard way. So if line
frequency variation would cause chaos, power outage should cause many times
the chaos.

But we have been living with the ocassional power outage, I think the minute
line frequency variation is not going to do any worse than power outage. In
fact it probably won't affect anyone at all.