Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Salmon Egg Salmon Egg is offline

Default Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

A short article he http://tinyurl.com/5vk4lc4

Electricity does not just go to homes! There are all sorts of
industrial plants / manufacturing plants / chemical plants and so
forth which have numerous control gizmos which depend on an accurate
power line frequency.

Think of all the things unearthed with the Y2K problem. Same with
this. All sorts of stuff out there!

And the 60 Hz power supply has always been a "rock". Something
guaranteed to be exact. So electrical engineers have made use of that
in many different products which have been manufactured in the past.

Now that "rock" is going to turn to mush?

If they are going to do this, then they should give many years notice
prior to doing so. Same as with Y2K. It took a lot of investigation,
time, and work to root out all the potential problems...

So what. Cumulative phase error on rhe grid was allowed to grow pretty
large. I think I remember a minute error or more. The total cycle count,
however was always corrected, often late at night.

Applications that required accurate frequency provided their own
standards. It was a big business for HP and others. Television used a
field rate of 60/sex. My entire remembrance of commercial TV has been
standards that provided their own synchroinzation that did not require
accurate timing from the grid.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.