Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nuclear Reactor Problems

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
...snipped...
Really??? 3 Mile Island. Chernobyl, Japan. it does not take a
large number with nukes, to create a large impact. One is all it
takes.

I don't glow in the dark either, and I'm 11 miles from 3 of them.
Downwind. But - you're gone from them now, right? Were you as much
of an advocate, with no concerns, when you lived nearer to them?
What if the disposal site was determined to be 10 miles from you?
I'm not anti-nuke. I don't fear nukes. I do however, think that a
great deal more thought needs to go into nukes than what comes out
in discussions like this. Too many people advocating nukes without
thinking about the ramifications.

...snipped...
...The stuff is dangerous. More dangerous
than oil, coal, and NG.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion. Speaking for myself, I'd sure
rather live next door to a nuclear plant than downstream from a coal
slurry dam:

To be fair - I am no advocate of that particular manner of dealing with the
fly ash. I don't want to second guess something that the designers didn't
invite me to participate in, but from where I sit, it sure does look like
those slurrys could have been almost expected. We've been building damns
and ponds for a long time, and we've seen plenty of failures - makes one
wonder why some of those lessons seemed to have been lost on the design of
those ponds.

--

-Mike-