Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_26_] Andy[_26_] is offline

Default Only 111 volts on one circuit, 118 on all others?

On Jun 24, 11:20 pm, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
Yesterday my TV went out, and my guess is the power board based on the error code. I measured 111.2 volts on this circuit. All others in my house seem to be 118 volts.

Sometimes I plug an appliance into the same circuit, and it works slower than on other circuits. This seems to point to less voltage posing a problem. But the TV has always worked fine.

Questions:

- do you think this voltage is too low? Most low voltage stories I hear are less than 100v.
- could it have hurt the TV?
- Could running the appliance simultaneously have hurt the TV?

I love this group and hope to hear your opinions.

Andy comments:
One possibility is some resistance in the terminal connections.
Sometimes they loosen up....
You could check the other receptacles on the same breaker and
see if they have the same voltage, with the TV plugged in to the
receptacle you mentioned since sometimes the receptacles are
daisy chained, and loose connections in any one of them would
cause a voltage drop. Also, go to the breaker box and tighten up
both the connection at the breaker, and the white neutral wire that
mates with it at the neutral bar.... Loose connections here are
fairly common also....

Actually, you should probly tighten up ALL of the white wire
connections, since it isn't unusual to have them loosen up over
time....

I am assuming you have all copper wiring. If you have aluminum
wiring, you almost certainly need to tighten them all up.....

Just a suggestion, --- something you might not have thought of...

If you aren't comfortable with tightening up terminals when hot,
throw the breaker first, or, get someone more familiar with house
wiring to do it for you.... It's possible to get hurt if you aren't
careful.

Andy in Eureka, Texas