Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawing

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 00:50:26 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:30:13 -0400, wrote:

Bill wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Why not abuse a pair of dial calipers next time? Open them to the
measurement you want, hang one side off the tubawhatever, and mark
with the knife at the other jaw, or scribe directly with the stainless
jaw of the dial calipers.

Not a bad idea... Anyway you can eke up to the center line from both
sides sounds like a reasonable approach. Of course, pencil lines are too
wide to use!

Bill

I do that regularly with a pair of Chinese
dial calipers bought 25+ years ago, and the jaw's still there, looking
practically new. (Don't anyone mention this to anyone over in
Wreck.Metalheads, though. They'd have heart attacks.)

This technique is not good enough for the metal workers, huh? What's
wrong with 'em? LOL

They want stuff, even wood, measured down to the tenths.
No, no. We're talkin' 0.0001". Hmm, you'd probably get along with 'em.

Thanks, I assume you mean that as a compliment! : )

But of course!

If your goal is to make stringed instruments, you need to position those
frets just right!

Soooo, how many wooddorkers are also luthiers, hmmm?

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!