Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Fully Variable Speed Control Unit for Lasko 2155A Window Fan

On Jun 24, 11:53*am, Martin Levac wrote:
On 6/23/2011 2:01 PM, Evan wrote:

On Jun 23, 10:13 am, *wrote:
On Jun 23, 9:49 am, *wrote:

On Jun 23, 9:45 am, Jim *wrote:

*wrote :

On Jun 21, 12:50 am, Martin *wrote:
On 6/20/2011 10:55 PM, JIMMIE wrote:

On Jun 20, 5:21 pm, Martin *wrote:
Hello,

I have a Lasko 2155A window fan with integrated 3 speed control
unit (links at the end of this post). I want to be able to fine
tune the speed so I want a fully variable speed control unit that
I would attach to the power cord, and control the speed from there
instead.

Just set your internal fan switch to high and use one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/router-...rol-43060.html

or wire an incandescent lamp dimmer to a duplex outlet,then plug in the
fan(on high range).
That's how I speed control my fixed speed model 270 Dremel Mototool.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Again. *Your dremel is a brushed motor, not an induction motor. *What
works for a motor with brushes doesn't work on induction motors.- Hide quoted text -

For those that don't understand induction motors. *An induction motor
is both a trasnformer and a motor. *It's really a clever idea that
recognizes that both motors and transformers are made of two coils.
The speed of the rotor is important in an induction motor so speeds
are controlled by the design of the motor. *That's why multiple speed
induction motors have mutliple sets of stator windings. *Which winding
you energize determines the speed. *And also why messing aorund with
the voltage, particularly with controls that simply clip the sine wave
doesn't work very well. *You can vary the speed by changing the
frequency. *But only to a point because low frequencies don't work so
well with a transformer.

The OP here isn't interested in any information from people who
know what they are doing -- he/she/it/they are looking for something
which does not exist (a cord mounted VFD control) to try and
precisely regulate the speed of a $35 dollar consumer grade window
fan...

Let the OP figure it out on his own -- clearly doesn't like being
informed that his desired device doesn't exist, or that the fan
he wants to control won't work with the controller or that the
motors which work with VFD controllers are expensive...

The OP is ignoring all of that and is therefore a troll...

~~ Evan

Correction, Evan, the OP (as it happens, that's me) wants information,
information which you refused to provide outright. So Evan, **** off.- Hide quoted text -

I think the point is that you initially did not seem very receptive to
the suggestion that there is not a practical solution to your problem
given the constraints you placed on the solution. Pont could have
been made without calling you a troll though.