Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Capping an artesian well

On Jun 24, 10:05*am, "Bob F" wrote:
tofu wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...esian-well-256...
tofu wrote:

The Fisherman wrote:

Hello all,

I have an artesian well that has been disconnected from my house and
is now only a 1 5/8" inch PVC pipe sticking out of the ground in
my
front yard.

It flows at about 5 gallons per/minute.

I currently have a plastic cap on it with a hose clamp to stop it
from running.

I\'d like to put a hose bib on it so that I can use the water in
various uses when I want to.

How in the world can I work with this? How can I glue anything to
this pipe while it\'s running?

Is there some method that would allow me to cap this thing properly
where I could then add on to this system? Getting a valve into the
line is my problem.

How can I put a valve into this line?

Get a short length of rubber hose with an inside diameter the same as the O.D.
of the pipe, and another chunk of PVC pipe the same diameter with valve and
fitting attached. Slip the hose over the end of the new pipe and attach it with
a hose clamp. Open the valve, push the other end of the hose over the well pipe,
and clamp it on also. Then close the valve.- Hide quoted text -

Get a inflatable stiopper with air extension hose. Install it and
inflate. Install a ball valve passing the hose and chain from the
stopper through it while installing. Take care not to let pvc glue
run down onthe stopper. Deflate and remove the stopper when the glue
has dried. That's how a pro would do it.