Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Side door is back again

On Jun 23, 8:01*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 6/23/2011 10:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote
I got a bid from a carpenter to replace the door. It is a solid-core
24", with a window and cat door cut in.

He quoted $58 for the door, and $300 for labor. I thought that was
high, as did my painter, who had recommended him. We talked. He
stood behind the price, which included installing knob and bolts,
cutting in the window, making an opening for the cat door, and hanging
the door. I would paint.

How does that price seem? This is an expensive area, but there are
lots of people out of work.

Sounds cheap for the door, about right for the labor.

Maybe you can find one of those "out of work" people to do it for $10 an
hour, but you still have to pay fair rates for real skills.

Judging from what I just pair for a car repair, it is cheap for the door.