Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Pool nightmare

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 05:56:24 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jun 22, 11:31*pm, "
wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:56:04 -0500, Vic Smith

wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:54:10 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

There is always a need for a basement. Supply lines and ducts in slabs
or crawls SUCK, as does HVAC and water lines in attic spaces.

I never paid any attention to the mechanical systems when I've been in
a slab house. *I've read stories of tearing up the slab because of
leaking water supply.

Not usually a huge deal. *Sewer lines can often be repaired without even
digging them up. *Sure, it's not the piece of cake it is with full access to
the pipes but it's not a big disaster, either.

Seems having the water supply come through a wall should take care of
that. *A sewer line going bad is bad news even with a basement.
I was surprised to see they put HVAC and water lines in attics in some
parts of the country.

With no frost, why not? *My HVAC ducts for the first floor go between the
floors and in the attic for the second floor (heat pump for each).

All the slab houses I've been in have a utility room for HVAC.
HVAC ducting in the attic shouldn't be a problem. *

No utility room. *The air handler for the first floor is in a hall "closet"
and the second floor's is in the attic space, along with the water heater.

Down in western Louisiana, where I spend a couple weeks a year and own
property, current fad is to build concrete basement, build house above
it, then build up the lot to create a house on a hill. Only rich folks
can afford that extreme, of course, but it works- flood protection, and
nice cool breezes on the veranda.

Yes, in KY they did that, where possible. *The houses built into hills like
that were about 50% more than the other houses in the same subdivision.

Best way to do it, as long as you have enough land to get a reasonable
slope up to the house.
A woman I worked with was having leg problems before she retired.
Her husband was too.
She told me if I bought another house, just get the biggest ranch you
can afford.
No stairs anywhere.

That's what my wife wanted. *Our current house has a couple of bedrooms and
bathrooms upstairs and I'm building my workshop over the garage (where a
"bonus room" would be.

Though I've always loved my basements, there's some merit to that.

I really wish I had a basement but only one house (of perhaps 50) we looked at
had a basement. *They are quite rare here.

I occasionally regret not having a basement too but then I remember
that most of the basements I have visited were full of stuff that
should have gone out in the trash :-)

After a few interstate moves, we've learned not to be pack-rats. ;-) I'll
cost me a fortune to move my tools next time, though.