Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Drawing

Larry Jaques wrote:

I think what Krenov left me with is a reverence for wood that I'll never
shake.

This is A Good Thing(tm), Bill. Lord Roy, Krenov, Eric Sloane (who
wrote _A Reverence for Wood_), and maybe even Norm (of Normite fame)
all did that for me. Roy and Eric were first.

And when someone acuses me of being A-R, all I have to do is
think of him and I feel sort of validated...lol : )

Har! I can just hear you brainmumbling "See? I'm not the worst."

Har! You say worst like it's a bad thing. On my recent DP baseboard
project, I was building a drilling template so that I would place my
(relatively fancy) screws (3) consistently in the proper position at the
end of each of the five 2by8 boards.

I seemed to have trouble marking the exact center of the template, just
a short 2by8 board, with a knife. I was trying to mark it with my
Starrett combination square to the nearest 64th, or better (a little
joke). I never measured 64ths before or used a knife to mark wood and I
encountering difficulty. I ended up taking my bifocals off and got my
eyes right down there next to the knife and the rule and it occurred to
me that working like that was almost dangerous and that Mike or Larry
would probably acuse me of being A-R about it! About that time I
remembered to prop the rule up and I learned to use one eye due to my
astigmatism, which probably accounts for some of my difficulty. In
retrospect, using a 1 1/2" thick drilling template surely negated most
of my "precision" anyway, but that did not occur to me at the time. So,
I got a few good lessons from my unnecessary drilling template... BTW,
it really IS TRUE that a center-punch (or chisel, I guess) will find the
marks cut by a knife better than ones marked by a pencil! In fact, if
two cut lines cross you can center-punch their point of intersection
perfectly without even looking--and I enjoyed taking all of the
advantage of that...

Bill