Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default OT -- switching heating elements

In article ,
wrote:

I'm sure the OP's significant other would not be comforted by the
epitath 'I thought it was turned off.'

Well said.

I understand that if you look at the statistics on people who suffer
injuries while working with (e.g.) power woodworking tools such as
table saws and lathes, you find:

- A significant but moderate percentage of "newbies" who didn't
read the instructions and warnings, and thus "didn't know better",

and

- A rather higher percentage of people with quite a lot of experience
with the equipment, who (when asked about it afterwards) say
something like "Yeah, I knew better, I knew I was taking a shortcut
and ignoring Precaution X".

As they say, "Familiarity breeds contempt" - in this case, familiarity
with the equipment or working environment tends to breed contempt for
safety precautions. "I got away with that before..."

--
Dave Platt AE6EO