Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Drawing

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:40:26 -0400, wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:14:43 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message

I don't think I've seen many threads on drawing/sketching here.

Did you ever get an answer not related to drafting/architectural?
Coincidentally I was looking at books on drawing yesterday at B&N and
was not satisfied with the selection. Saw most of those you mentioned
including the one you said you might order. I diverge, in that I am
interested in also doing color work.

Yes Lobby, "Engineering Drawing", known at Amazon.com as "Manual of
Engineering Drawing" appears to be a well-thought-of standard for the
craft and was used in college by several of the folks here.
I ordered a version of it. I went back to the used book store to pick up
the book "How To Draw What You See", but someone else found it. I'll
probably collect a copy of it sometime. It looked a lot better to me than
most of the "how to draw" books. There are a lot of reviews of it and
sample pages to read at Amazon.

Thanks, Bill.

An associated tome I found helpful was _How To Look At Everything_ by
David Finn. Warm and wonderful, it sets the mood.

It has 3 reviews at Amazon.com. The longest paragraph in the 1st
review is the one that, to me, seems the most telling: The gist of it is
that there is no "How To" in the book. What did you find helpful about
it?

It was a look at things from a whole different perspective. Kinda like
reading a book by Krenov. Refreshing and thought-provoking.

I think what Krenov left me with is a reverence for wood that I'll never
shake. And when someone acuses me of being A-R, all I have to do is
think of him and I feel sort of validated...lol : )

Obviously, we all enjoy what we enjoy and I think even that varies
from month to month, week to week, and day to day... Gosh, that last
sentence came out practically poetic. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut
once in while! : )

Ayup.

Oh, so now you're calling me a blind squirrel!
Maybe without my glasses.. : )

Bill

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London