Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default wood putty before or after staining

On Jun 23, 9:04*am, "Baron" wrote:

snip

* * Wood fillers rarely stain the same way as the surrounding wood. *The
filler trends to be stained either darker (like end grain) or lighter ( due
to poor penetration). *Plastic Wood does not take stain very well. *This
means that you should be prepared to have the filled areas lighter in color
than the surrounding wood or be ready to do some color and grain matching..
I suspect the reason the directions state to fill first is that DAP wants
you to use the same finishing schedule on the filled areas that you use on
the rest of the wood. *It gives you a fighting chance, in their mind anyway,
to achieve a good match.

After giving up on commercial wood filler a while back I started using
regular 3M Bondo. The trick is to get a white hardener paste and the
cured result will take stain quite well, in my experience giving a
near perfect match to the stained wood. The fast cure is a bonus, too.
For dark stains, the usual rust colored hardener seems OK.

Joe