Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 'Coons.....OT

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 3:08 pm, wrote:
On Jun 22, 1:09 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Jun 22, 7:18 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" fired this
volley :

Why does everyone feel the need to kill?

Stormy, some folks actually suffer losses at the claws and teeth of
marauding wildlife.

Killing isn't always its own reward, but it positively ends the threat
from
a single animal; "pack" and highly social animals respond strongly to
having one of their crew killed -- they tend to avoid the place it
happened, afterwards.

LLoyd

Prove that to me.

TMT

A dead coon isn't likely to return to raid the garden plot... "Take
away the food source" isn't going to work in that case, my sister
depends on canning the veggies for the rest of the year. A coon can
ruin a whole lot of ripe corn in a night. They end up trapping 20-30
a year, spray them with an orange stripe before relocation. Repeaters
get executed.

Coons carry distemper and flea-borne diseases, not so great for pets,
there's not a lot of natural predators around, either.

Stan- Hide quoted text -

Your sister needs to invest in a fence.

The repeaters mean that the relocation was not done properly.

Coons do not carry diseases any more than you do.

They are very clean creatures.

And they make really cool caps!

There was a pattern and assembly instructions for a 'coonskin cap in _Boy's
Life_. It was 1957, '58, or '59. They included a pattern to make one from a
skunk, too.

It's not easy to find. They have it at the Library of Congress, on
microform.

Did you know that the Disney series on Daniel Boone made those things so
popular that there was a shortage of raccoons in the late '50s? Most of the
"cconskin" caps from that era actually were made from Australian rabbits.

The horror, the horror...

--
Ed Huntress

They make excellent pets if raised from birth by humans.

Not knowing your location, I cannot judge the predator load they have.

Car traffic is a major "predator".

Again...remove the food source and they will move on.

One cannot blame them for taking advantage of easy food...humans eat
at McDonalds all the time and we don't shoot them.

TMT