Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Maximum joist length?

On Jun 23, 6:43*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
Someone has asked me to help put in an upper floor in a farm
outbuilding. The room dimensions are 7 metres by 5 metres constructed
with a single thickness of breeze blocks. He is planning having 7 metre
long joists and fixing down traditional tongue and groove floorboards on
top.

Is this feasible? 7 metres sounds like a very long span unsupported,
assuming that you can even get 7 metre long joists? I would have thought
that at least one cross beam would be needed for such a span.

I'm happy to lay floorboards and do the associated DIY but I'm no
structural engineer!

Suggestions?

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the

Is there some earth-shattering reason for not laying the joists in the
5m direction?