Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default iPad 2

In message , D.M.Chapman
writes
In article , Ron Lowe wrote:
On 21/06/2011 23:54, Bill wrote:

No help to offer, but here at Lowe Towers, I have 3 cisco access points
running WPA2-Enterprise ( with RADIUS servers and certificates ) and the
iPAD1 and iPod touches / iPhones all just figure it out and request
credentials and connect.

Very impressed at how it figured out all the correct settings that
usually requires manual intervention in Windows for example.

Can be a bit less slick when the user changes their password though

No idea why it won't connect to the Netgear.

I had a linksys that appeared reluctant to work with a couple of iMacs
(running leopard IIRC). After sniffing the traffic it turned out to be
something wierd with timing and DHCP. Can't remember the details - the
machines would connect to the router fine, but then fail to get an ip
and would autoassign itself an address after 30 seconds or so.

Took it back to PCworld (it was a distress purchase on a sunday), got my
money back and switched to a netgear - no more problems.

Well, here's where we are....

Spent several hours there. His Virgin supplied Netgear router looked
fine in most settings toa non-expert like me, Running inSSIDer on my
laptop nearby showed that he was on a clean wifi channel, with 4 other
routers nearby on a very well separated channel.
However, the signal strength appeared to randomly drop to zero.

The later firmware version from Netgear's site was not recognised and
wouldn't install. After trying many variations of WPA, tried another
router piggy backed as an access point and that seemed to give a solid
signal.

We then switched off the Homeplug networking, and the iPad connected
when the router showed on inSSIDER, not when it didn't.

At this stage rang Virgin support, who tried remote control of the
router and agreed it was faulty. They will replace it.

After this tried taking the Netgear back to basics ie no security and
with the Homeplug out got a solid iPad signal and set up his email,
Skype etc.

The Homeplug is not close to the router, but there is obviously some
sort of interaction. Looking at the inSSIDer time graph showed a
consistent wifi signal with the Homeplug switched off, and a graph like
a very slow sawtooth with it on.

He has a huge assembly of loose mains boards, some of which say they
have some sort of filtering, so I'm wondering if trying to get the new
router when it comes onto some sort of filtered mains might be a good
idea.

If it is, what sort of filter should he be looking for?
--
Bill