Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Minimal Expanding Foam or Mortar?

On Jun 22, 6:40*pm, "WW" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

"RogerT" wrote:

-snip-

Since you eventually plan on parging the block anyway, my vote would be to
fill the gaps now with mortar.

I'd use that mortar/caulk in a tube, myself.

Expanding foam can be a mess to work with, and it can expand too much and
can be a pain to trim.

??? * Especially someplace where it won't be seen, how hard is it to
wait until it is cured and knock off the high spots with a dull knife,
sharp knife, block of wood-- heel of your boot. . . .?

Jim

Multi purpose HF tool works for me. Wait a few days until sets up hard and
then is easy to trim. I used the blue can of "Great Stuff" *WW- Hide quoted text -

I "mortared" in a single concrete block with expanding foam a couple
of years ago. Drain for a washing machine had been run through the
block and it crumbled and had to be replaced. New block was cut on a
masonry saw to allow the drain to pass through. We placed a couple of
shims beneath the block and shot the spaces around it with "great
stuff". Whether or not I would do the same again would depends on
whether or not there was ever going to be any kind of stuctural load
placed on it.

Jimmie