Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Mounting a Small Tire on Wheel

On Jun 20, 12:48*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

wrote:
I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side of
the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. *Should I
partially inflate the new inner tube first?

No. *A little twisting won't hurt, as long as you don't do a 180 on
it.

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working the
rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Yes.

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

Inch by inch. pushing it past the rim with your thumbs.
If you end up using a flat screwdriver, just put very the tip on the
rim so you don't pinch the new tube and put a hole in it.

--Vic

I like to use a little waterless hand cleaner (GoJo) on the rim and
tire as a lubricant to help get the tir back on the rim.. Soapy water
works pretty good too. HAving a rubber faced sledge hammer is very
helpful too.

Jimmie