Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Question on lathe alignment.

On Jun 22, 1:13*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:16:59 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
Ed mentioned laps. I often use a file. Cuts faster and may not be for
work to 2 tenths accuracy. But works great *if you got 1 thou taper or
you're trying to get to a light press fit.
Karl-

Same here. If the workpiece is springy I cut short sections to a
thousandths or so over and blend them all with a single-cut file. I
can also cut a very slight taper for a press fit this way.

Waaay back when, machinists turned metal with hand-held chisels to a
caliper fit, as woodworkers still do. A twisted or even crooked lathe
bed didn't matter.

jsw