Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe[_3_] Ron Lowe[_3_] is offline

Default iPad 2

On 22/06/2011 19:01, fred wrote:
In article , Ron Lowe writes

No help to offer, but here at Lowe Towers, I have 3 cisco access points
running WPA2-Enterprise ( with RADIUS servers and certificates ) and the
iPAD1 and iPod touches / iPhones all just figure it out and request
credentials and connect.

Are the access points covering different areas? Do the various toys
connect to the strongest signal or do they have a favourite that they
try to connect to irrespective of signal strength?

I have a wireless router and separate access point covering overlapping
areas and although I'm not using 'i' products (just yet) I have had
bother with:

1. A Blackberry which has a priority list for wifi connections trying to
connect to the favourite even if it is nearly out of range and the
second favourite is much closer.

2. A laptop preferring to connect to the last connected node rather than
the strongest which makes it a pain when moving between home to home
office.

Also, bizarrely, my Orange San Francisco (notorious for wifi fussiness)
refuses to work with the zoom wireless router but is perfectly happy to
connect (and obtain addresses from the zoom router) when connecting via
a separate access point.

I'd be interested to hear how the iToys behave in your setup.

All the cisco WAPS are sending the same group of SSIDs. ( There's more
than 1 wireless network: there's a 'guest' one for Internet access only )

The iPrides seem to roam betweeen them seamlessly, but it's hard to say
without logging into the access points and seeing what clients are
currently connected.

--
Ron